Friday, October 22, 2004

DDD (10/22) = Use the internet for free phone calls

Message
Skype is a Voice over IP (VOIP) service that uses a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) infrastructure.  In the past 14 months, Skype has registered over 28 million downloads of their software, which allows you to make low-cost, over even FREE, phone calls using your Internet connection.  Skype is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and as of September, Pocket PC.  I just downloaded Skype today and will give it a try on my Toshiba e805 using my wireless network at home.  Does this sound too farfetched to you?  Ask the 1 million people who simulatenously used Skype on October 20th.  I think they would disagree. ;>)  I'll write up a brief report on my Skype test and post back here over the weekend.  In the meantime, feel free to comment on any other VOIP solutions you've tried; Vonage, FireFly, Packet8, etc.....


Trackback links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link