Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Gadgets galore (Part 2 of many)

GPS devices for autos and general navigation are certainly "en vogue"; there are various GPS add ons for laptops & handhelds. I have a good general sense of direction, but where I have a problem is altitude and speed. You see, I'm a runner and both of these often overlooked attributes are very important to me. If I could only have a small device that told me my current speed or pace while running. It would be nice if it would save that information for later usage as well. Hmm......how about the Garmin Forerunner 201?



I picked this device up about a year ago for less than $130 and I absolutely love it! It locks on to three of the 24 GPS satellites and updates my pace every second. I only wear it on training runs because I think it gives an unfair advantage in races. It functions as a regular GPS as well; complete with general mapping. I recently used it for a business trip from PA to CT...269.1 miles. The data can be stored for up to 2 years and can be downloaded to a PC via XML files for running log usage. If you're truly brave, you can even match up the XML data with satellite maps on Terraserver.com and overlay your route! Way cool.....I'll see if I can whip up a sample. In the meantime, click this post title for more information on the Forerunner.


Trackback links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link