Saturday, October 09, 2004

How to pull and listen to Podcasts

After a few days of trial and error, I've finally got it right...well, sort of. I've been trying to get an "all in one" automated solution to receiving Podcasts on your Windows Mobile device. Turns out, there isn't one just yet.
The Ipodder software has a great interface and allows you to configure the interval that your content is pulled. However, Ipodder doesn't allow you to specify the download directory where you store your Podcasts; this is key to auto synchronize to a Windows Mobile device.
IpodderNet software does allow you to specify your target download directory, but unfortunately, it does not yet pull content at intervals you specify. You have to manually press the "Retrieve Now" button.
Since both apps are open source, I expect to see one (or both) of these applications become the "total package". In the meantime, I'm using IpodderNet because I don't mind clicking a button once a day. I've written up a complete tutorial today on PocketPCTools.com. Check it out!


Trackback links

5 Comments:

At 10/09/2004 6:57 PM, Blogger PKD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/09/2004 7:30 PM, Blogger James Kendrick said...

Excellent tutorial. Links:

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2004/10/excellent_tutor.html

http://channels.lockergnome.com/mobile/archives/20041009_tutorial_listen_to_podcasts_on_your_pocket_pc.phtml

 
At 10/09/2004 7:34 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Hi, I'm considering an iPod, but I'm leaning towards the WMA lossless format to archive my CDs. Any recommendations as to what's at least comparable to iPod?

 
At 10/10/2004 10:23 AM, Blogger James Kendrick said...

Kevin, If I didn't have an iPod I would be using my PPC for music. I used it for years until my wife gave me an iPod for a gift. Of course that opened my eyes to the wonder of having my whole music collection with me and also the Apple Music Store. I would probably use the PMC for video & music if no iPod.

 
At 10/10/2004 1:18 PM, Blogger Kevin C. Tofel said...

Kevin,

If you're looking for a pure digital audio player, the iPOD is of course the standard. I'm a lossless WMA fan myself, so I purchased a 15GB Dell DJ. It's very comparable to an iPod and costs less on $ per GB basis. Dell is having a terrific 25% to 30% off on the Dell DJ's now, so you can get a 15GB for $149 or a 20GB for $195!
If you have your heart set on an iPod, check HP's iPod for Windows. A 20GB HP iPOD will set you back $299, but is fully Windows and WMA compatible...might be the best of both worlds for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link