Saturday, October 09, 2004

RETRO DDD (10/9) - Happy 21st birthday to my Commodore 64


I was cleaning out the garage today and came across my original Commodore 64. I checked the back panel and according to what I saw, this computer was built in October, 1983! Of course, I had to fire it up to see if it still worked. I grabbed the shoe box shaped C1541 floppy drive, attached the 15" Commodore monitor, added the power sources and flipped the switches: it fired right up!
I'm not sure what I'll do with the computer, but I am taking suggestions and requests. What's interesting to me is that the computer came on instantly; no boot up time, no hard drive to load the operating system, just a happily blinking cursor and the Ready command.


Just goes to show that if you think the digital world is new, it's been around for a long time...about 21 years in my house, much longer in others. Drop me a line if you've come across any vintage digital technology.


Trackback links

2 Comments:

At 10/10/2004 7:26 PM, Blogger James Kendrick said...

Sell it on ebay. There's a huge market for vintage computing equipment- no kidding.

 
At 10/13/2004 12:21 AM, Blogger Mecandes said...

If I were you, I'd load up The Bard's Tale on it! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link