Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Firefox is great, so let's try Thunderbird!

Last week, I decided to dump Internet Explorer and try Firefox 1.0 from Mozilla. In case you missed it, Firefox is a free open source alternative to Microsoft's web browser. So far, I've been completely impressed with Firefox. I've always liked multi-tab browsing and the browser does support that. I particularly like the RSS integration as well as the way you can easily add on new functionality in the form of "extensions". I won't even mention the fact that with 93% of the web browsing market, Internet Explorer is lined up in the sights of every would be hacker...oops, I mentioned it. In any case, since I've had such a great time with Firefox, I decided to take the same plunge with Thunderbird. According to Mozilla:

"Thunderbird 0.9 is Mozilla's next generation e-mail client. Thunderbird makes emailing safer, faster, and easier than ever before with the industry's best implementations of features such as intelligent spam filters, a built-in spell checker, extension support, and much more."

As of today, Thunderbird has taken the place of Microsoft Outlook on my desktop for a trial basis. I plan to use it over the next few weeks, post my comments and then make a decision on sticking with it or going back to Outlook. More to follow....click the post title if you're interested in Thunderbird now.


Trackback links

1 Comments:

At 11/16/2004 10:48 PM, Blogger Kevin C. Tofel said...

Before I call it a night, two potential issues came to mind if I stick with Thuderbird as my e-mail client:

1. I can't use ActiveSync to sync any of my mail to my Windows Mobile device; Microsoft ActiveSync simply won't recognize the e-mail client.
2. I can't send calendar items to my SPOT Watch; there is no appointment function in Thunderbird. This means I'll have to have two clients...one for e-mail and one for appointments....

Hmmm.....I hope the folks at Mozilla are working on the ActiveSync item....this is probably more prevelant and affects the larger number of users.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link