Sunday, November 07, 2004

Great site for low level formatting of hard drives

I've spent the better part of 7 hours today trying to rebuild my son's PC. I'm not even close to being done yet, because there was a system hiccup when installing the operating system and I'm not able to boot into ANYTHING....not even a C: prompt! I've tried various boot disks and the like, but nothing has worked yet.
However, I'm holding out hope for a low level format of the hard disk. There is a great site that provides links to all of the major hard drive manufacturers and each of them provides a utility that basically wipes the hard drive clean. I had tried to do that with a boot disk and the FDISK utility, but since this PC has had both Windows 2ooo and XP, nothing has worked just yet. I'm not out of the woods just yet, but I can honestly say that the utilities I've found from this site are great. If you know the manufacturer of your hard drive, you can download a utility that will give you bunches of information on your drive. The nice part is, you can save the utilities to a floppy disk and build a boot disk to run the app. Hopefully, you never have to low level format a drive, but if you do, this is the place for you! Click the post title for the link.


Trackback links

1 Comments:

At 11/07/2004 6:58 PM, Blogger James Kendrick said...

I'll bet you didn't install the Windows Recovery Console (if it's a WinXP box) did you? :)

This would allow you to boot into a safe environment and rebuild your C: drive no matter what was required. I ran an article about this a couple of weeks ago on jkOTR. You can still run it from a WinXP CD if you can boot from the CD. Do a help search for Recovery Console and you will find instructions for booting into the console from the CD.

Of course, it's probably too late now, right? So I should shut up now. Hope you get it fixed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link