Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Bookeen Cybook under review

I previously posted about the Bookeen Cybook demo unit that Bookeen has graciously lent me for a review. You can imagine how excited I was when I came home yesterday to a package from France! No, I wasn't excited because I've never received a package from France, I was excited to see this new eBook reader!

My approach to this review will be to use the Cybook on a daily basis, simply because I do read eBooks every day. It might be at lunch, during dinner, or even into the wee hours of the morning, but I do find the time to read every day. In fact, I believe that the proliferation of eBooks and their simple usage has actually increased the amount of reading I do.

As I use the Cybook, I'll post some thoughts every few days here. Eventually, all of my thoughts will be captured in a single, formal review for PocketPCTools.com where I contribute on a regular basis. I'm working on contributing to some other tech sites as well, so if that works out, the review will be passed along to those as well. So: STAY TUNED for thoughts on the Cybook. If, during the course of the review you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Before I leave this topic, I have to say that the Cybook already came in handy: just within the first hour of my day today. Although the Cybook's main function is eBook reading, it is built on the Windows CE operation system. As a result, there are some extra features that are useful as well, which I quickly found out today when I walked in to work. Today we had a team meeting with a 27 page Power Point presentation. Normally, I would copy the slides to my Windows Mobile device and view them on my handheld to save a few trees. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that today because the slides were created in a very old version of Power Point and I could not convert them up to something more recent. With just a few minutes to spare, I quickly saved all of the slides as Bitmaps and transferred them to a Compact Flash card. I popped the card into the Cybook and was able to view them with Internet Explorer in full color on a 10" screen! :>) Keep in mind that the Cybook is first and foremost an eBook reader. However, when you can gain additional functionality in a device, it certainly becomes more appealing.


Trackback links

1 Comments:

At 3/27/2005 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ordered the cybook. I missed my rca 1200 color ebook so much. I tried the ebookwise small monchrome device. I was not happy with it and the limited amount of books of interest to me.
will let you know how I like it or if I send it back

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link