Thursday, January 27, 2005

Dude, I love my Dudebox!

Being the non-mainstream person that I am, I'm one of the few that opted NOT to get an iPod. Instead, I bought a used 15 GB Dell DJ. I prefer Windows Media Audio files over mp3 and aac files, so this was a good choice at the time. What wasn't a good choice was to use the Dell DJ Explorer software to transfer music and files to the DJ. I do use Windows Media Player to synch my music and podcasts, which works fine, but for advanced file procedures, I really needed something else to manage my music. The Dell DJ Explorer worked OK, but was kind of buggy and very limited in functionality. Enter the Dudebox from Red Chair Software!



Click "Read More" for additional info dude!

Dudebox has some great features. Aside from the basics that include viewing the audio files and their properties on your DJ, you can edit your tags, rename tracks, and auto-synch music from your PC to your DJ. The entire application is integrated into Windows Explorer in a seamless way as well. Dudebox also lets you do everything imaginable with your Playlists and supports streaming of your music library from the DJ through your PC through various music players like RealPlayer, WinAMP and WMP.

So what about Dudebox's web interface? Yes, I said "web interface". The Xtreamer interface allows you to manage, play and stream your music through the browser of your choice...way cool!



At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I have to say: "But wait, there's more!". Dudebox supports transcoding from one music format to another on the fly. You can keep hiqh quality reference files on your PC and then transcode to .mp3, .ogg, or .wma when you want to take your music on the road. There's also the "DudeboxSQL" database engine that allows you to run reports on your music, perform advanced searches and output data in text and XML formats.

Dudebox Explorer is available from Red Chair Software for $25 and it is well worth every penny (and then some!) if you have a Dell DJ.


Trackback links

1 Comments:

At 10/19/2006 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i use windows media player to copy music to my hard drive, then use windows explorer to look at the drive and drag the copied music to the jukebox. then i plug in earphones and play the music.
what the heck is "xtream", and what does it do for me?
i know i'm late to the party, but will appreciate any info you can give.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link