Saturday, January 08, 2005

Recycle a laptop hard drive

I guess I ran my Gateway laptop into the ground. Considering it was on 7 x 24 for about 2 years, I suppose I shouldn't complain. So, do I just give a respectful memorial service and then dump it or do I hack it up for parts? I'll give you one guess on that one... ;>)

The Gateway had a nice 40GB drive that was roughly half full. Most of the data on it is my music collection; I've ripped all of my CD's to the Gateway only to then move the files to my Dell DJ. I would love to get at those files again, though and not just the music; I had bunches of data like old e-mails, contacts, etc... on the drive. Since the laptop drive is a standard 2.5" sized drive, I picked up an aluminum hard drive enclosure with USB 2.0 at my local CompUSA for $20.



Click "Read More" for the simple steps involved.

Here's what you need:
1 Hard Drive enclosure kit
1 very small Phillips head screwdriver
1 inquisitive 7 year old son (optional)
30 minutes

I thought this would be a good project for my son, so Tyler and I opened up the box together. In fact, some of the digital pictures you see were taken by him!

What's in the box?



Inside you will find the lightweight aluminum enclosure, a small travel bag for it, necessary screws, a USB 2.0 cable, a driver CD, and instructions. Unless you are running Windows 98 SE, you won't need the driver CD. Once we reviewed all of the parts together, we pulled out the old Gateway and turned it upside down.



The picture above highlights the area where the removable hard drive is. Each laptop is different of course, but you should generally find your hard drive access door on the bottom of the laptop. In our case, there were two screws to remove so that we could slice the access panel out. The access panel slid out easily and revealed the hidden treasure to Tyler: our 2.5" hard drive & data.

The drive itself was attached to a small case which in turn was attached to the panel as shown below.


For us, it was a simple removal of four screws; two on each side, and our little hard drive was free. Remember to be careful when handling hard drives. You don't want to accidentally drop them or shake them. This could damage the delicate platters inside.


Once our hard drive was completely separated from the panel, we then placed it inside the new enclosure. To do this, we had to remove the top and bottom covers of the enclosure:

Note the pins on the top end of the hard drive. These pins get inserted into the slots at the top of the enclosure. You literally "plug in" the hard drive to the slots on the enclosure circuit board. The result of that step looks like this:


Once you've connected the hard drive to the circuit board, you screw the hard drive to the case, using the four provided screws. Note the four screw-holes in the picture below.


After the hard drive is attached via the screws, you just take the top and bottom covers of the enclosure and replace them onto the case. Use the included eight screws to secure the case and attach the USB cable for the final result:


Once completed, you just connect the drive to your PC. I'm including before and after pictures of Windows Explorer to show how the device appears:

BEFORE:


AFTER:


That's all there is to it! For $20 and 30 minutes of your time, you can regain the data on your old laptop hard drive. Since the device is powered through the USB interface, you can take your new portable drive anywhere there is a USB port. My Dell DJ is great for music when I'm on the move, but now I can plug my new portable drive in to my work PC and use it to listen to all of my music.

For any additional questions on the simple process, drop me a note.






Trackback links

9 Comments:

At 1/09/2005 6:22 PM, Blogger Kevin C. Tofel said...

Got a question from Bruce via e-mail on the CompUSA part number I used. Thought this would be helpful to all, so I'm sharing my response here:

"Glad to hear that the article was useful. I just searched the CompUSA website, but it doesn't appear that they sell the exact same enclosure I used. Strange, because I just bought the unit last weekend! However, you might find the same unit I used in their store.

Here is the most similar item they show now. It's $28.37 on their site; I paid $19.99 for something extremely similar: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50490827&pfp=SEARCH
That part number is 50490827. Unfortunately, I already threw away the box I had, so I don't have the exact part number of what I used. It was branded as CompUSA, however, so if you call the store and tell them you want a 2.5" USB hard drive enclosure, they might have the same deal.

Another site I would recommend (to save you a trip) is http://www.tigerdirect.com. Just do a search for "hard drive enclosure" and you will some models for as low at $14.99."

Thanks for the question Bruce!
KCT

 
At 1/10/2005 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also put an old 30gb laptop hd into a usb 2.0 enclosure. It works a treat! One thing i found out recently tho; When i brought the enclosure it came with a usb cable and a usb power cable (to draw power from a spare usb port!). I put the usb power cable to one side and forgot about it, while i happily used the drive on my laptop usb 2.0 ports... Recently i decided to use the drive on an older laptop (usb 1.0). After a bit of head scratching i finally figured out that it needed the additional power cable to work! I'm still happy with my shiny purchase! Jez

 
At 1/30/2005 8:41 AM, Blogger Kevin C. Tofel said...

Just noticed a nice bunch of traffic from the digg.com users. Thanks "diggers"; I had planned for a story on the digg.com concept, so this served a good reminder! I hope you folks liked the tutorial; if you have a few extra minutes, browse some of my recent posts and let me know what you think. I'm always looking for feedback, postive or negative, to help make the site better!

Thanks,
KCT

 
At 1/31/2005 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just pickup up an 2.5 enclosure for $13.95 after shipping from here:
http://devsdeals.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=17932

 
At 4/05/2005 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried using an 2.5" portable enclosure for my Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop hard drive last night. I was befuddles when I opened the enclosure and found two rows of female end fittings, where as my laptop has only one row of male fittings. Did I understand your article correctly, do I plug my hard drive inj to the top row only, and ignore the second row??
Help.....

 
At 10/31/2005 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article, thanx! My laptop won't recognize the hard drive, however. Is this a problem with the actual hard drive, ie is it damaged? Is it a driver problem? Windows will not autodetect it nor will it accept the drivers that came with it.

What do you think?

 
At 12/11/2005 8:43 PM, Blogger J said...

Usually, you need to put the HD jumper as master.

 
At 7/27/2006 8:11 AM, Blogger sgsurvey said...

laptop Dell Laptop Part 1 Dell Laptop Part 2 Acer Laptop Part 1 Acer Laptop Part 2 Acer Laptop Part 3 Dell Inspiron 3000 Laptop Dell Inspiron 630m Laptop Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop Dell Inspiron 300m Laptop Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop Dell Inspiron 3200 Laptop Dell Inspiron 640m Laptop

 
At 11/22/2006 12:42 PM, Blogger biometrics said...

dell inspiron 6400 case
dell inspiron 6400 casing
dell inspiron 6400 cpu
dell inspiron 6400 ram
dell inspiron 6400 memory
dell inspiron 6400 hard drive
dell inspiron 6400 hard disk
dell inspiron 6400 modem
dell inspiron 6400 wireless
dell inspiron 6400 lan
dell inspiron 6400 bluetooth
dell inspiron 6400 keyboard
dell inspiron 6400 battery
dell inspiron 6400 batteries
dell inspiron 6400 bag
dell inspiron 6400 sound card
dell inspiron 6400 graphic card
dell inspiron 6400 display
dell inspiron 6400 lcd
dell inspiron 6400 screen
dell inspiron 6400 monitor
dell inspiron 6400 repair
dell inspiron 6400 motherboard
dell inspiron 6400 manual
dell inspiron 6400 software
dell inspiron 6400 download
dell inspiron 6400 upgrade
dell inspiron 6400 driver
dell inspiron 6400 review
dell inspiron 640m case
dell inspiron 640m casing
dell inspiron 640m cpu
dell inspiron 640m ram
dell inspiron 640m memory
dell inspiron 640m hard drive
dell inspiron 640m hard disk
dell inspiron 640m modem
dell inspiron 640m wireless
dell inspiron 640m lan
dell inspiron 640m bluetooth
dell inspiron 640m keyboard
dell inspiron 640m battery
dell inspiron 640m batteries
dell inspiron 640m bag
dell inspiron 640m sound card
dell inspiron 640m graphic card
dell inspiron 640m display
dell inspiron 640m lcd
dell inspiron 640m screen
dell inspiron 640m monitor
dell inspiron 640m repair
dell inspiron 640m motherboard
dell inspiron 640m manual
dell inspiron 640m software
dell inspiron 640m download
dell inspiron 640m upgrade
dell inspiron 640m driver
dell inspiron 640m review
dell inspiron b130 case
dell inspiron b130 casing
dell inspiron b130 cpu
dell inspiron b130 ram
dell inspiron b130 memory
dell inspiron b130 hard drive
dell inspiron b130 hard disk
dell inspiron b130 modem
dell inspiron b130 wireless
dell inspiron b130 lan
dell inspiron b130 bluetooth
dell inspiron b130 keyboard
dell inspiron b130 battery
dell inspiron b130 batteries
dell inspiron b130 bag
dell inspiron b130 sound card
dell inspiron b130 graphic card
dell inspiron b130 display
dell inspiron b130 lcd
dell inspiron b130 screen
dell inspiron b130 monitor
dell inspiron b130 repair
dell inspiron b130 motherboard
dell inspiron b130 manual
dell inspiron b130 software
dell inspiron b130 download
dell inspiron b130 upgrade
dell inspiron b130 driver
dell inspiron b130 review
best price dell inspiron 6400
best price dell inspiron 640m
lowest price dell inspiron 6400
lowest price dell inspiron 640m
used dell inspiron 6400
used dell inspiron 640m
second hand dell inspiron 6400
second hand dell inspiron 640m
spoiled dell inspiron 6400
spoiled dell inspiron 640m
dell inspiron 6400
dell inspiron 640m

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link