Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Apologies to subscribers

I'm not sure how many people this affected, but I wanted to correct the issue quickly and post an apology. Yesterday, I posted a story on how to create a font based on your handwriting. I used digital ink in Windows Journal on a Tablet PC to create the post, which is nothing more than a .jpg image of the text I wrote.

However, I inadvertently linked the post title to the actual installation executable for the Tablet PC Power Toy that provides this function. For regular web readers, it's no big deal: don't click the post title or cancel the install. It's a different matter for subscribers as I found out this morning. As I've mentioned many times before, I use Doppler on a daily basis to pull the podcasts that I subscribe to. I do subscribe to my own blog, simply to ensure that the feed is working. This morning I watched Doppler download my subs and guess what happened? Exactly what should have happened....Doppler downloaded the installation and kicked it off since the executable was embedded in the enclosure tag of the XML. Not a problem for me because I have a Tablet and wanted the Power Toy! For those that didn't want or need it, please accept my sincere apologies if the installation kicked off. This was not an error on the part of Doppler's software, nor was an error of the Feedburner service that I use to burn my RSS feed. It was simply an oversight on my part and I hope that you understand. I've since fixed the post link from yesterday. It will now take you to the Microsoft Power Toys for Tablet PC page. Again, my apologies....

Interestingly enough, this got me thinking about security and safety of podcatching applications. Is this something to consider in the future to protect from spyware, malware or viruses?


Trackback links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link