Sunday, July 17, 2005

A missing Skype status?

Now that I have an EVDO connection, I'm basically wired to the web during every waking hour. I generally keep Skype up and running the entire time and after a few weeks, I've realized that even though I'm on-line most of the time, I'm not always available for a Skype voice conversation. The issue is: I may be available for a text chat via Skype, but there is no status to indicate that.

I realize that Skype is generally viewed as a VoIP client and rightfully so. However, I don't want multiple IM clients or accounts; I'd prefer to use Skype for everything. To effectively do this, I need an additional status message, such as "Text Only". I could use "Not Available" for this purpose, but I think most people would think I'm not available for text or voice. What do you think? Am I asking for too much from Skype?


Trackback links

1 Comments:

At 8/21/2005 9:04 AM, Blogger Sean said...

No, I don't think you are asking for too much - other IM clients let you write your own away messages, so it shouldn't be that hard to implement.

I have a related problem - I find I'm getting Skyped at all hours of the night from work-related Skype contacts in different time zones.

They see I'm online and they think it's okay to make a work-related call - very annoying when I'm no longer in "work mode".

I want to either have a status that says something like "Not available for work-related calls" or be able to select who sees me online at different times (i.e. friends or work contacts).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link