Monday, September 12, 2005

Can a TabletPC act as a TV remote?

I've wondered about this for some time for a couple of reasons. When I'm on the couch in front of the TV and using my Tablet in it's "slate" configuration, the IR port is directly facing the TV. That got me thinking about this since there are several PocketPC applications that provide remote control functionality. The Tablet's larger touchscreen seems like it could display a killer remote interface.

I've done some digging for an out-of-the-box solution, but came up empty. The closest I could find were applications from Promixis (shown to the right) and Meedio; they either need more configuration or they require some external type of IR device, such as a USB UIRT.

Is it a Windows XP limitation that won't allow remote control software to use the IR port directly? If so, that doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the IR ports aren't "consumer grade?" I know there has to be something out there for what I want to do: can anyone help?


Trackback links

1 Comments:

At 9/12/2005 4:31 PM, Anonymous Ian Dixon said...

Kevin, I have not heard of a tablet using IR but you could use TCP/IP and wifi

http://kindel.com/blogs/charlie/archive/2005/05/11/1791.aspx

With that you could write you own gui

hmm I may have a go at that my self

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link