Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I finally have a backup strategy

On a recent techADDICTION show, James and I were chatting about backup strategies and I realized I really don't have one. Ironic, isn't it? 15 years in the I.T. industry and you would think I'd have learned from other's mistakes. I finally decided to do something about it today.

I went out and purchased a Norton bundle of Ghost & Partition Magic. I needed Partition Magic because I need a place on my Tablet PC for the Windows Vista beta. In fact, I'm downloading Vista right now; can't wait! Ghost by itself was $70, but when bundled with Partition Magic, both were had for $99 minus a $20 mail-in rebate. Not a bad deal over at CompUSA.

I was planning on using my 15GB Dell DJ as my backup device since I always have it with me. The DJ is a little flukey though, while you can use it as a removable storage device, it seems to require certain software, so I decided to keep it simple and try something else. More after the jump....

I remembered that back in January, my son Tyler and I recycled a laptop hard drive. I dug around my spare parts graveyard and sure enough, I still have the USB drive! I've already Ghosted my Tablet image onto the small drive so I feel much better about re-partitioning the Tablet and installing Vista later.

One other aspect to my strategy is to see if I can take advantage of the bootable SD slot on my M205. I'd rather not carry any emergency disks or my Ghost CD if I can help it. I'd much prefer to boot from a small SD card since my Tab has the capability to do so! Has anyone tried this method?

I'll be doing incremental backups along the way now; likely every weekend, so I'm never too far out of whack if the Tablet goes belly up. That already happened once before and I don't feel like rebuilding again. The whole Ghost approach might also help with the lack of Tablet PC OS disks from the OEMs that James was speaking of a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?


Trackback links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link