Thursday, October 06, 2005

AOL: "You've got blog!"

If you follow the blogosphere at all, you're already aware that AOL purchased Weblogs, Inc. Network (WIN). I contribute to HD Beat for WIN, but there's not much more to contribute to the story. Are you shocked? You pretty much know what I know and vice versa. So why write about it then? Simple: it illustrates why I thoroughly enjoy writing for WIN.

WIN appeals to me as a blogger for two reasons. First, it's generally a transparent entity. That's why I said earlier, "you know what I know." The transparency goes from the top down. You can often find Jason (the co-founder) discussing some details of network traffic or advertising revenue right out in the open on his blog. I don't get internal e-mails from WIN that say "OK, Jason said X, but it's really Y."

Secondly, there's the organization itself. It's generally horizontal; there's no "inter-departmental" strife that you see in corporate America today. The org is nimble and empowered through and through. There's a minimal amount of framework in place; just enough to let everyone do what they need to do and focus on doing it well.

So what will be the outcome of all this? I couldn't tell you; I didn't get the internal memo! ;) Congrats to Jason, Judith, Bryan, Jade, Peter and the rest of the WIN team. The hard work and the business model are a lesson waiting to be learned by thousands of other companies.



Trackback links

1 Comments:

At 10/09/2005 12:43 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

I really worry about Weblog inc. AOL is nothing but a terminator. It has killed all the good companies it has acquired: Netscape, Winamp, and ICQ. Small creative companies become craps after merging into a big company. Think about Bloglines in AskJeeves and Flickr in Yahoo!

Anyway, hopefully AOL won't scare away my favorite authors in Weblog Inc. (e.g. Marc Orchant)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link