Sunday, December 18, 2005

Sundays are made for maintenance

Not just our own catching up and planning the week, but I mean our computer maintenance as well. A recent post James wrote about defragging and performance has me rethinking my weekend workload. We're all so busy during the week, that's it's difficult to keep the PC's running at top speed; we simply don't take the time to maintain them. It's a vicious cycle because we demand performance during the week, so we can't skip the weekend tuneup.

Here in the house we have two laptops for work, two personal laptops, two desktops, two PDAs and various digital cameras, iPods and more. Every single one of those devices are expected to function perfectly and quickly. Is it fair to expect that from our beloved devices if we don't show them some love in return? After the jump is my common sense, but important approach for each Sunday going forward!

  • Clean off the desktops on the PCs by moving (or removing) any data files, downloads, etc.
  • Clean out the Recycle Bins
  • Check the installed program list and wipe out anything not used in the last two months
  • Run the Disk Cleanup function and free up space.
  • Run a Disk Defragmentation on each
  • Run Windows Update. I have this scheduled, but the laptops aren't always on during the scheduled time.
  • Run updates for all virus and anti-spyware programs.
  • Defrag all external hard drives and iPods
  • Review all new data and pictures on Compact Flash and SD cards; archive, burn or delete as necessary
  • Review PDA data and remove as necessary to save space, i.e.: notes, downloads, podcasts, installation files, etc.
  • Turn off the satellite receivers overnight to automatically receive any new software updates.
  • Back up one PC per week using Norton Ghost and an external hard drive.
While all of this is going on, I'm going to enjoy my Sunday morning coffee from WaWa and read a good old fashioned newspaper. Call in personal maintenance by unplugging for a short while!


Trackback links

5 Comments:

At 12/18/2005 1:53 PM, Anonymous Warner Crocker said...

And here I thought I was the only one. Nothing like watching a little football while doing maintanence.

 
At 10/06/2006 10:55 AM, Anonymous george said...

Very interesting post if you are looking for
calling cards check out my website!

 
At 2/25/2007 4:07 PM, Blogger MassBile said...

Very good article...infomational for sure...looking forward to reading some more posts placed on this topic...will be checking this page again..have saved in favorites and bookmarked...thanks

Business Directory WebSite Directory

 
At 11/11/2009 8:37 AM, Blogger CT said...

Hi,
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. Great post, concise and easy to understand. I like this post..

I found out that this blog is very interesting and informative.
Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
Health and Lifestyle
Honeymoon Destination
Top Fishing Games
Pearl Necklaces

 
At 1/11/2010 9:09 AM, Blogger Zul said...

Hi there. Keep it up for a good job.You really have a lot of nice blog here. Lots of information. I have read and passed on this info to my friends as well.

Cheers!
fivezull
One Drop Perfumes
Free Movies
Online Degrees
Higoat
Catcheye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home>>

Links to this post:

Create a Link